A Leading East Bay Family Law Attorney

     After child support and spousal support, determinations have been approved by the court, ex-spouses’ lives continue to change and evolve. If you or your ex have experienced significant changes in income or other circumstances, you may be eligible for modification of the terms of your child support or spousal support arrangements.
     When Can a Support Order Be Modified?
Judges tend not to grant requests for support modifications unless they are clearly necessary. Under the law, support modifications can only be requested in response to a “significant change” in circumstances since the original order was put in place. Usually, a significant change is related to the income of one of the parties. For example, if the individual paying child support gets a substantial raise or loses his job, he can request a reduction, or the other party can request a modification to increase payments to reflect that change.